The concept of TRA VISIONS project is to organize two competitions for transport research awards to be announced at the Transport Research Arena (TRA) conference in 2024:
The TRA VISIONS 2024 YOUNG RESEARCHER COMPETITION,
an young researcher competition with the goal of stimulating the interest among young researchers and students in the field of sustainable transport.
The TRA VISIONS 2024 SENIOR RESEARCHER COMPETITION,
a competition for senior researchers in the field of innovative transport concepts based on results only from EU-funded projects.
Both competitions cover all transport modes (road, rail, waterborne, airborne and cross modality) in line with the EC policy objectives for smart, green and integrated transport. The S&T objectives are to nurture the best transport researchers in Europe, promote the alignment of their interests with those of transport stakeholders, encourage them to participate in the conference and celebrate their achievements. The process is two-way: students are inspired by the presentations at the main conference and mature researchers are inspired by the research and vision of the young.
The objectives of the TRA VISIONS 2024 project are:
- to make the Transport Research Arena (TRA) conference the premier series in its field in the world by stimulating the participation of university students as well as young and senior transport researchers in the TRA 2024 conference;
- to build a vibrant community of transport innovators and researchers in Europe thus fostering the interaction between specialists working in different modes;
- to promote an inter-disciplinary approach, linking basic science, socio-economics and applied sciences/engineering;
- to identify the top performing university students in all modes of transportation and the champions of transport research in the EU funded projects by means of a precise evaluation process and acknowledge their achievements;
- to disseminate knowledge and project findings with the final aim to develop innovative solutions for transport in Europe.
TRA 2024 project is to continue and build on the success of the H2020 funded TRA VISIONS 2022, H2020 TRA VISIONS 2020, H2020 funded TRA VISIONS 2018, the H2020 funded TRAVISIONS 2016, the FP7 funded TRAVISIONS 2014, FP7 funded Young European Arena of Research (YEAR) competitions that took place at Transport Research Arena (TRA) in 2008, 2010 and 2012, as well as the VISIONS (FP6) and VISIONS OLYMPICS (FP7) competitions. Together those competitions captured the imaginations of more than 1.500 students around Europe. TRA VISIONS 2014 and 2016 aimed to develop this impact even further by extending the awards to include a new competition for senior researchers to acknowledge excellence in transport research projects.
The expected strategic impact of TRA VISIONS 2024 includes:
- stimulate young researchers and students to submit their research work to the competition and attract them to transport related studies.
- Support the Transport Research Arena (TRA) conference, which is considered as the first Transport research conference in Europe, with a successful and high-quality scientific competition and with strong and high level media coverage.
- Encourage partners from EU-funded projects to further develop innovative ideas from their projects.
- Efficiently disseminate knowledge and results of European and National research projects in the area of Sustainable Transport and thus improve the coordination of research, technology development and innovation and the deployment of innovative solutions in the Transport sector in Europe.
YOUNG RESEARCHER COMPETITION
The TRA VISIONS 2024 YOUNG RESEARCHER COMPETITION is aimed at university and technical institute students pursuing bachelor, master and PhD degrees. This competition represents an opportunity for young researchers to showcase their work on an international stage at the 2024 Transport Research Arena (TRA 2024) event in Dublin, Ireland.
SPECIAL HONORARY AWARD
A special award for honouring a “very” senior researcher who is about to complete or has already completed their career, and who has through the years made an outstanding and well-recognized contribution to transport-related research and innovation in their respective field. Someone who has, throughout their career, demonstrated groundbreaking and future-oriented views and research.
To propose an outstanding researcher you can register here:
SENIOR RESEARCHER COMPETITION
Are you a transport innovator? Have you carried out highly impactful research funded by the EU? If so then you could be eligible for the TRA VISIONS senior researcher competition.
Cutting edge transport research has a profound effect both on our lives and the world we experience, changing the way we travel, consume and interact with each other.